Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Jinx.

Working late tonight.

Got up, did a slow three miles. Spring (and mud season) is certainly here. Felt like it was in the high 40s by 7a. Came back home, started the sap boiling, and went to physical therapy. I'm getting to the point where I can start thinking about only once a week, which would be nice, from the day job perspective. Of course, I told the therapist, this just means that I'm going to slip on ice and screw it up again.

Jinx.

After therapy, we ran by the feed store and picked up materials for an electric fence. All we need now are four pigs and two dairy goats. Also got some more seed under the theory that seed is cheap, food is expensive.

Made it home early afternoon, just in time to grab about 15 gallons of sap from the buckets. I was carrying a full five-gallon bucket in the woods and slid into some slush. My head went one way, legs went another. Down on the shoulder.

See: "Of course, I told the therapist, this just means that I'm going to slip on ice and screw it up again."

Fortunately, I didn't slip on ice. I slipped on slush. Which meant I landed in slush. It was an owie, but not a painkiller owie. Toted the sap to the burner and went upstairs to work for a few hours.

Come dark, and I'd forgotten to chase my roosters into the barn. They got into this whole rooster competitiveness deal, no one wanted to be the last one inside, so I had to get them running. And I did. I ran four of the five into the barn, then started chasing the last one. He ran between my legs, I pivoted on an icy patch. Head went one way, legs went another. Down on the shoulder.

See: "Of course, I told the therapist, this just means that I'm going to slip on ice and screw it up again."

Again, I was pretty lucky. Another owie, but I fell harder on my arm than my shoulder. We'll see how it feels in the morning, but I think I'll be OK. As long as I don't slip on the ice and screw it up again.

In matters unrelated to slipping on the ice and screwing it up again, I just finished The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I'm not hugely enthralled with the gossip side of the journalism business, but damn! She can write. Powerful stuff. Makes me wish she'd get out of the celebrity racket and start doing narrative journalism. Incredible read. Five stars.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();