Monday, July 2, 2007

Upon Further Review ...

So much for the coon theory. I believe we had a juvenile bear visit us last night.

I went out to look at the chickens and saw that the 33-gallon trash can where I keep their grain had been dumped over. Also saw that there were very large paw swipes on the grain bag. I mean, very large.

This would have been after I saw the sunflower seed feeder had been looted, and two of the side-boards that contain the feed had been not-so-gently removed. That could've been a coon. But unless there are coons out there with human-sized paws (and really, really sharp claws), I think we had a bear visitation last night.

The thing that makes me wonder is that the bear bypassed the coop and a bag of trash that included bacon and ham wrappers on the front porch in favor of sunflower seeds. Vegetarian Vermont bear?

I'm thinking I probably won't wait more than a few minutes to investigate if the dogs bark tonight.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();