Sunday, January 13, 2008

Quiet Weekend

A close one. Had my first (and hopefully, only) ice-slip of the year on the way to feed and water the chickens. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the phenomenon, it happens when you step on a patch of ice that sends your feet one way, and your head the other. And it hurts when you land.

Happily, I came down on my left side, rather than my right side. Probably saved me a few thousand in extra orthopaedic expenses. And no permanent harm done -- hell, I wasn't even carrying a basket of eggs when it happened, which would've been par for the course.

I'm getting two or three eggs from the small Aruacanas these days. Of course, I didn't get any today. They better get busy -- I've got just enough room in my freezer for a couple dozen birds.

We tried making homemade cheese last night, but it was more ricotta than mozarella. Gorelick must pasteurize their milk a little beyond the basic pasteurization. I'll have to go down to Massachusetts and score some raw milk. On the plus side, Lisa baked a new batch of bread, and was both annoyed and gratified to discover the boys had eaten an entire loaf before it officially came out of the oven.

Spent a ton of time last week and part of this weekend rebuilding a laptop. That's about it on the day job front.

Got a few more books to read during the whole convalescent thing -- one on spending money carefully that, Lord knows, I could certainly use, and another on building with stone. Not sure about the latter. Had a conversation with our local independent bookseller on how the Nearings built with stone up near Jamaica. I can't imagine I'll be any good at it, but I might try starting a rock pile this summer.

Supposed to get nasty in the morning -- another foot of snow. The plow guy, of course, never showed up. I'm starting to get really pissed.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();