Friday, January 18, 2008

A Boy of Very Little Brain


It's Winnie-the-Pooh Day!

(Actually, it's A.A. Milne's birthday ... but you get the idea.)

In honor of the occasion, a few favorite quotes:

"Pooh," said Rabbit kindly, "you haven't any brain."
"I know," said Pooh humbly.

"My spelling is Wobbly. It's good spelling, but it Wobbles, and the letters get in the wrong places."

"We can't all, and some of us don't. That's all there is."

Eeyore was saying to himself, "This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated, if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it."

It is more fun to talk with someone who doesn't use long, difficult words but rather short, easy words like "What about lunch?"

Snow day for the kids. Lots of ice on the road this morning. They were slightly bummed, since it looks as though they'll be going to school in July now. I mean, really, people.

I'm all in favor of some New Rules: Kids can't start school before September or end school after June. There will be a minimum two-week break every year, with Christmas falling in the middle of it. Teenagers shall not be required to wake up before 630a to catch their ride to school, even if they live in the sticks.

If I were king of the education world, anyway.

Dropped off nine dozen eggs at the market early this morning -- it's good when store employees are buying your product. Got a good report from one of the cashiers, who said they were as fresh as any she's been able to get at the market.

Did a small bit of work, then off to meet with the physical terrorist. Got a couple of appointments set up. "That's all I'll need, right?" I asked. Um, not so much. I'm looking at a whole lot of visits, apparently. The most physical therapy I've ever had was three months, back around 2001, for elbow tendonitis.

I gather this might take longer.

Ran by the library on the way home and picked up more reading material. We have a nice little library, just up the road from our house. Added quite a few items to the stack to keep me from completely vegetating over the next couple of weeks:

The Bourne Identity (need at least one trashy novel)
The Northern Forest
Legacy of Ashes
The Lobster Chronicles
The Complete Guide to Beekeeping

Also got a CD version of Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed. It'll give me something to listen to while walking or biking since it's 27 hours (!), unabridged.

Truly, I don't even want to think about how much all that would've run me on Amazon or elsewhere.
Worked late tonight. Tried to get some supervisory guidance, but no luck. Ever get the feeling that your absence isn't just slightly unlamented, but perhaps eagerly awaited?

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();