Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hill O' Shame

That's what I'm calling it, anyway.

My house sits near the bottom of a pretty steep ridge that leads to another ridge. So I got a two-fer today. The car is kaput, so I walked 1.5 miles downhill with the boys (carrying a couple of card tables for Will's semi-formal) to the bus stop. Made it to the stop with a few seconds to spare. Then it was time for me to run back up the hill. It wasn't too bad -- maybe a 500-foot increase over the 1.5 miles.

Got home and grabbed the bike and a backpack to go into town for mail, banking, staples and handling of vehicle burial details. The hill that leads to town (the other way) ain't so easy -- maybe a 750-foot increase over 0.5 miles. I got about a tenth of a mile up it and walked up.

Sigh. I know it's a rough hill, but I should still have a big "L" on the back of my jersey.

On a brighter note, Will and I got out yesterday and planted the garden. A bit late, but I'll hope for a warm fall. Seems that's been happening a bit lately. We planted corn, potatoes, strawberry bushes, carrots, onions, beans, cucumbers, basil, thyme and tomatoes. Covered everything with straw and watered. It's supposed to rain most of the rest of the week, which may help me out a bit. Will and I had a good laugh when he started talking about what he wants to wear to his semi-formal. I suggested he take off about a pound of dirt, first.

And duck eggs, we got duck eggs. Three in two days. Of course, that's from five hens. They could do better, but I don't think Muscovy ducks are well-known for laying. The turkeys are pretty funny, too -- especially the male, which is fanning and puffing like no one's business. The little peeps don't seem to be too intimidated by anyone, so far. And the Arucana in the brooder appears to be healing nicely. I'll keep it there another week or so, just to be safe.

I'm going to have to figure out what to do about the car. I'd like to get a truck, but we'll see what I can afford. I'm also going to have to get something for John, who turns 16 in October (Cue the theme from whatever horror flick does it for you). Any and all recommendations accepted.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();