Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Day at the Farm

Lisa had a doctor's appointment this morning, so I got up reasonably early. I need to get back on Taking Boys To Bus Standard Time, but I've enjoyed the sleeping-in just a wee bit over the past few days. After her appointment, we went to the CSA for the weekly pickup after that. A good food week:

1 bunch chard
2 pounds broccoli
2 pounds sugar snap peas
1/2 pound snow peas
1 big bunch cilantro
1 bunch scallions
1 bag mesclun
1 bag romaine

Bruce had mentioned that he'd be interested in some duck eggs last week, so I brought 18 to the farm. Of course, that was before I found out that there are people on the 'net who'll sell a dozen for $18.

I am so in the wrong business.

Picked up some tomato cages, chick feed and oyster shell en route home. Got to work a little late, but got a fair amount done, enough to take a break and run down to the market for semi-local chard pie ingredients. Here's how it works:

1 bunch chard, chopped (CSA)
1 bunch chopped scallions (CSA)
2 tbsp minced garlic (local)
8 oz Swiss cheese (Cabot)
8 oz Canadian bacon (local)
8 oz mushrooms (local)
6 duck eggs (home)
2 cups goat's milk (local)
2 9-inch pie crusts (King Arthur)

Heat up a skillet, toss in a little olive oil, and sautee the garlic. Throw in the scallions and chard, and cook until wilted. While greens are cooking, grate the cheese and whisk the eggs and milk. Toss in the cheese, sliced mushrooms and bacon and stir. Scoop the greens into the bottom of the crusts, then pour the mixture into the crust. Bake at 400 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Eat. Enjoy.

Cool blog du jour: Grocery Guy.

On a less-fun note: War has broken out.

One of the ducks is sitting atop a half-dozen eggs, brooding. The problem is, one of the eggs is a turkey egg. The turkey hen is not pleased, and has been going into the coop to chase the hen off her egg. She doesn't seem inclined to brood on the turkey egg, so I'm letting the duck do the brooding. We'll see what happens.

On the triathlon front, I registered for the Batten Kill Valley Runners "Covered Bridges" 12-K on Saturday. I may do some fly-fishing after, if I'm not too beat. Am thinking hard about the Mad River Valley Century Ride later this summer. And, of course, I really, really want to do the Mount Desert Island Marathon.

My Total Immersion DVD hasn't arrived from Amazon yet. Must ... swim ... faster.

Hot and muggy here, but it's supposed to rain like hell tonight. Already lots of lightning. The garden is going well - perhaps a little too well. I'm thinking I'll have a bounty crop of tomato, corn, beans, cucumber and potato, followed by a bounty infestation of deer and/or potato beetle.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();