Sunday, March 18, 2007

I Like Children ... Probably Just Not Yours

A tough weekend.

I slept late Saturday and headed over to the gym for some swimming. No such luck. Pool was packed full of kids and parents. Made sense to me -- there's a mountain right across the freakin' street with ski lifts and a foot-and-a-half of fresh powder, and you drive 250 miles with children to go swimming.

Spent an hour working off frustration on the elliptical trainer, burned 910 calories. Got home, and my wife and I headed out on a semi-retail binge. John had done major snow shovel work and asked if it was worth the purchase of "God of War 2." Eh, why not. He was amusing me, to boot. Accused Robin of having a blonde moment. Robin, who is not blonde, was giving John, who is blonde, a hard time about it. He turned to me for help. I shrugged.

"People who live in glass houses ..."

"Should be able to afford to throw rocks," he finished.

He gets God of War 2 for that alone. I had tried to grind some wheat berries for bread earlier, and the kitchen stand mixer had gone nuts on me, so I thought I'd run by Bed, Bath and Beyond as well and see if they had a hand-crank grain mixer. I had to go to a sporting goods store and get some bike pants and a nose clip for swimming. Finally, wanted to go by the bookstore and add to the garden library.

Got everything done (except finding the grain mixer) and was back at home, in bed, by 11 a.m.

Woke up early this morning, took the spouse to her weaving class up the road. Stopped on the way back and looked at the snow, falling very gently, and figured: What the hell. Might be the last time this year I get to run in snow this pretty. Did seven miles. It felt slow, but I checked the Garmin, and it told me I'd been running a 9:15/mile pace. Very odd.

I was pretty beat because I skipped breakfast, but had to go swimming. So I puttered down to the gym, where a birthday party with 17 4-year-olds had just taken occupancy. Grrrrrr. At least they were local. Rode the bike for 13.2 miles. My timing sucked because I hadn't eaten. Went home and started some cooking, but had to go pick up my spouse. Sigh. Got back home around 5p and we started the food:

*** 8 tupperware containers of ziti
*** 3 containers of buffalo jalapeno chili
*** 4 loaves of whole wheat/white bread
*** 1 big bowl of rice (John was in a bland mood).

Wrapped up the cooking/cleaning around 9p. I'd been out a good chunk of the day without sunglasses, so I had a blinding headache all night.

All things considered, I got a lot done this weekend. But my diet more or less sucked out loud, especially today. I've got to eat a little bit before morning workouts and more after them. And do more vegetables.

Here's hoping for a better next week. I'm hitting the pool early tomorrow.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();