Thursday, March 29, 2007

Procrastination and Outrage

I ran downstairs this morning to get my clean running, biking and swimming clothes from the dryer.

Except they weren't in the dryer. They were still in the washer.

Duh.

Still managed to catch the bus a few miles down the road, and started busting my butt so I could get off a couple hours early tonight for a quick workout.

Didn't quite work out that way. I went to the gym around 3p, but Lisa needed the car around 4:30p, so I just biked. I'll wrap up tomorrow (I hope) and take Saturday as a rest day.

Outrages, we got outrages:

'Income Gap is Widening, Study Shows,' New York Times

'Circuit City Cuts 3,400 'Overpaid' Workers,' Washington Post

And here's the money quote from the last link:

"I'm ticked off that they can just come at you from one day to another, no warning, and oh, you're gone," he said. "I dedicated seven years to them. Loyalty gets you nothing."

Shares closed yesterday at $19.23, up 31 cents, or 2 percent.

A long, long, long time ago, when I was in graduate business school, we used to have an analytical phrase for that sort of reaction. The technical term was, "No shit?"

This would be an outrage, but it's not. It's satire, but barely. Here's the source:

'These Kids Never Say 'Yech,' ' New York Times

and here's Gawker's take on it:

'These Kids Make Us Say 'Yech'

Funny stuff.

Had one of those nice little grace moments on the way back from the gym. Saw John walking down the drivway as I was driving up. Asked him where he was going.

"Nothing to do inside," he grumped. "Going for a walk."

Which is kind of neat. He's got game consoles, a high-speed internet connection, satellite television, a room full of books ... and he's out enjoying one of the first sunny, warm days of spring.

(Of course, he walked to the town library. But he didn't stay long).

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();