Tuesday, March 13, 2007

A Sprint Triathlon

Well, kind of.

I've been offline, out of the gym, and off the road for a couple of days, dealing with severe family/professional/financial crises. Existential ones, too. Decided to get my proverbial you-know-what together this morning and catch up on the Lost Day of Training.

Boys were (happily!) already awake and good to go for school by 6 a.m. Dropped them off at the bus stop and did my 5K. It seemed to go quicker than usual, although not really so much -- 28:15. Gray and overcast morning, not much of a sunrise, but only 30 or so. I'm not really excited about the extended daylight savings time, although I suppose I can keep running to sunrises.

Drove to the gym and rode my 13.2 on the exercise bike. It was kind of slow, but I had a really good Easterbrook article on the economics of global warming in the Atlantic and a fun New Yorker piece by McPhee to slow me down. Finally, went to the pool and swam 0.3 miles. Thank goodness for small favors -- no one else in the gym to witness my flailings.

And that, my friends, would be the equivalent of a sprint triathlon.

Here's a link to the Easterbrook article:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/prem/200704/global-warming

Alas, you've gotta have a subscription. But I think the magazine is worth it -- $9.95/year for 12 issues.

Breakfast was pretty basic: 1 banana
1 c blueberry yogurt
1 Nature Valley vanilla yogurt granola bar

My homemade granola, by the way, sucked. It didn't taste bad, but I used the exact amount of honey and canola in the recipe, even though it didn't glue together very well before baking. It didn't glue together very well after baking, either. Moral of the story:

Do not trust the Whole Foods recipes. Trust your instincts.

I'll blog more later.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, it's later. A perfectly hellish day on the work front. Should've stayed in the gym. Slow-cooked a roast for the kids for dinner. Even that didn't come out all that well. Stuck to my diet, though:

Lunch: Red beans and rice
Afternoon snack: 1/2 c carrots
1 c dried apples
Dinner: Sage cheese omelet with salsa
Toasted whole wheat bagel with butter

Lost my damn cash card. And my damn Shaw's card. I'm doomed if I don't find them. Too doomed to even mention the outrage of day. Mostly because I haven't had time to look for one. Sigh. I think another long workout is in my near future.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();