Monday, March 19, 2007

The Incompleat Consumer

So while I was running Sunday, my mind got to wandering ...

It seems to me that there were four major religions in the last place I lived: Protestants. Jews. Muslims. And Consumers.

This was more than a minor irritant for me. It wasn't just that they got all the good parking spots. It just seemed ... wrong.

It's much better where I live now. After a day like Friday, though, I still feel like such a freakin' consumer. So I made myself feel a little better today by hitting up the seed catalog.

Veggies: Corn, tomato, potato, onion, carrot seeds
Fruits: Blueberry, strawberry bushes
Herbs: Thyme, sage, cilantro
Flowers: Mammoth sunflowers

And I called in a tree strike: two apples, two peaches, and, for joining the Arbor Day Foundation, got 10 more mixed trees -- maple, birch, oak, spruce.

Also called the hatchery and got my chick order changed. I'm now getting 25 New Hampshire Reds and 25 Arucanas. I'd ordered 25 "assorted rainbow layers," but figured I'd be better off with Arucanas in a cold-weather climate.

This means I'll probably feel better in two or three years. Might even get to the point where I produce enough to not feel like the Compleat Consumer.

On the training front, I swam 0.5 miles today. Meant to do more, but I was at 60 laps when the stroke people took over the pool. I don't mean the stroke people, like the people who might be able to help me out; I mean the cerebral event survivor people. Anyway, I didn't want to take up a length of the pool, since it's not divided into lanes, so I got out about 0.25 miles early.

(Really. I've got a few relatives who have had strokes.)

Diet didn't go too bad, although I should have an implant that delivers a near-lethal shock every time I get near the bread. The menu follows:

Pre-swim breakfast: 1 slice bread
1 tbsp peanut butter
Breakfast: 1 bowl granola with skim, blueberries, strawberries
Kefir
Morning snack: Bread. Butter.
Lunch: One-pot pasta
Bread. Butter.
Afternoon snack: 1 c carrots
1 c grapes
Bread. Butter.
Dinner: Jalapeno buffalo chili
Bread. Butter.

See a pattern here?

I'm going long tomorrow morning. And I ain't stopping for bread. Or butter.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();