Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Something Must Be Off

Got up a little late this morning, but still made it to the bus stop with a few seconds to spare. My run felt a little choppy, but I made 4.2 miles, checked the Garmin, and had my first pleasant suprise of the day: I was doing 8:50 miles.

It's not exactly a world-beater of a run -- considering that seven years ago, I was routinely doing 7:50 miles -- but it's a hell of an improvement over the 9:45 miles I was doing last year.

Drove to the gym and stocked up on magazines (this week's New Yorker, so-so; Sports Illustrated, eh; Cooking Light, awesome). Strapped on the heart monitor, jumped on the bike and set the program for "Fat Burn" mode.

Because I am, after all, fat.

Also wussed on the rate, setting it at 110. Theoretically, I'm supposed to be going around 140-150, but (a) I thought I'd do a long-ish ride, and (b) I don't trust that monitor.

After an hour, I figured out I really don't trust that machine. It showed 21.7 miles, which pretty much shatters my routine 12 miles in an hour.

I don't think I'm moving so slowly that I'm going 12 mph. But I also don't think I'm shooting along at 21.7 mph. Considering Lance Armstrong's fastest Tour de France average speed was 25.5 mph in 1999. Yeah, I know, that includes a lot of hills, and the flatter time trials usually run about 31 mph. But still ...

Reality check. Time to get the old bike fixed and hit some hills.

Not a great diet day. I'll do a sprint tri tomorrow.

1 comment:

Reinier said...

Hi mad triathlete!!

I 've read you're using a garmin GPS- device!

I want you to let you know our new webapplication: www.tts.com. It's totally free and easy to use.

Run of dutch runner:
http://www.ttsm.com/tripview.php5?t=922&to=map

Please give a reaction to me at reinier@ttsm.com.

Thanks,

Reinier

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();