Monday, March 26, 2007

Mud Season

Woke up at the usual time and looked outside.

Mud. And plenty of it.

It's an annual phenomenon: A gorgeous summer with highs in the 70s and 80s, nights in the 50s and 60s. Like most summers, it lasts a long time.

Next, fall. The colors just explode. It's beyond gorgeous.

Winter, and snow, generally right around Christmas week. Then ass-biting cold, and more snow. Things get very quiet. Then a brief thaw, and more snow. Then a longer thaw.

Finally, spring. Rains, and more rains. And mud season.

I plopped my head back on the pillow and prevailed upon Lisa to take John to catch the bus. Gave Will a break, since he had an opthalmologists' appointment at 11a for new glasses.

And then I went back to sleep.

Woke up for good around 9a. I've been waking up vaguely stiff and a little sore every morning lately, but in a good way. Took a shower, then started a program running for some work at the day job. Figured it'd take about three or four hours. Took Will for his appointment. Took him to school, stopped by the guidance counselor's office to discuss John's sophomore schedule.

Stopped by the farm stand on the way home and grabbed a muffin, banana, new potatoes and a couple of limes. Should've invested in cooking apples (10-pound bags for $1/pound), but figured out that I'd need an apple peeler/corer ($19.95).

Got home, and the program was still running. Futzed around with some administrivia until 5:30p and figured it was likely to run another three hours. So I headed to the gym to atone for my miserable morning performance.

I swam a mile. Not to put too fine a point on it, but I was stoked. Haven't swum a mile in, hmmmmmmm, about 30 years. I'll cop to doing a sidestroke for the vast majority of it, and I was slow, and kind of suffering near the end, but hey! it was a mile!

Anyway, I am very pleased with myself.

Even if it is mud season.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();