Thursday, April 12, 2007

Snow in the Spruces Redux


Caramba! About 10 inches, all told. We've had snow late in the year, but I don't remember (since I've been here, anyway) having such a steady stream of the white stuff during April. This is generally high mud season, and we might get one more snow in May or June.

I figured this morning it would be better to run in snow than sleet and/or rain, so I got going right away. I did 9.2 miles. A little slippery, and there was about an inch of snow on the brim of my hat after the run, but all things considered, I was happy to make it. Saw a raft of turkeys that came out of the woods to gobble and scold me for the snow.

I'll mention right now that people up here are pretty darn tolerant. I run down a dirt road, and between a roaring stream and my iPod, usually don't hear cars coming from behind. It was slippery and kind of mushy, so I was running more or less down the middle of it this morning. I was listening to a long-ish song, and when it stopped, I could hear crunching behind me. So I jumped to the left-hand side of the road, and a car that had probably been following me for a good five minutes puttered past me. The driver waved; it wasn't the hand gesture I would've expected. That's all I'm saying.

Doonesbury is slowing down a bit:


After the run (a 9:22/mile pace, ugh), I stopped by the house to see what we needed in the way of storm supplies, pick up my gym bag and change my tops -- my sleeveless, turtleneck and hoodie were soaking wet. Had to put the car into four-wheel to get in and out of the driveway, and had a few bad moments going down the Hill Road, but made it to the gym unscathed. Biked 14 miles and sat in the hot tub for about 10 minutes since my quads were really aching. Then went to the general store for miscallaneous food and the hardware store for new oil lamp wicks. I'll need them when the power goes out, which could be any moment.

How bad was it today? Put it this way: They let the boys out of school after lunch. Hardly ever happens. The schools here decide if it's going to be a snow day or not based on whether or not the school buses can make it (safely) up the hills.

Worked like a Banshee -- is that a capital noun? -- most of the afternoon and into the evening. Glad to get all my workouts done for the week. I'll do an hour of crunches in the morning tomorrow, and pretend it'll be OK for me to make the following, courtesy of today's NY Times:

April 11, 2007

Recipe: Supernatural Brownies

Adapted from “Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant Showstoppers,” by Nick Malgieri (Morrow Cookbooks, 1998)

Time: About 1 hour

2 sticks (16 tablespoons) butter, more for pan and parchment paper
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup dark brown sugar, such as muscovado
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup flour
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or 3/4 cup whole walnuts, optional.

1. Butter a 13-by-9-inch baking pan and line with buttered parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water, or on low power in a microwave, melt butter and chocolate together. Cool slightly. In a large bowl or mixer, whisk eggs. Whisk in salt, sugars and vanilla.

2. Whisk in chocolate mixture. Fold in flour just until combined. If using chopped walnuts, stir them in. Pour batter into prepared pan. If using whole walnuts, arrange on top of batter. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until shiny and beginning to crack on top. Cool in pan on rack.

Yield: 15 large or 24 small brownies.

Note: For best flavor, bake 1 day before serving, let cool and store, tightly wrapped.

Just one minor observation: I think it'd be better with eight ounces of chocolate mint bars instead of the bittersweet chocolate. Maybe I'll try it when I'm down another five pounds and three percent body fat.

Which at this rate, will probably be around September.

No comments:

_uacct = "UA-1459002-1"; urchinTracker();